When customers dine in your restaurant, you want them to have an enjoyable and safe experience. Therefore, you should always keep your restaurant in top working order.
Because a restaurant is a public space, there is always a chance that it could sustain property damage over time. Property damage might come from heavy traffic, weather, theft, fire and a variety of other perils.
In many cases, you can repair property damages to your restaurant with relative ease. Small damages may not even affect your operations.
Restaurant Insurance and Property Damage
Large-scale property damage might interrupt your operations and pose threats to your customers and staff. You might turn to your restaurant insurance to help fund property damage repairs.
Restaurant insurance can cover a variety of repairs and a variety of perils. If your restaurant’s structure, appliances or contents experience damages, insurance might help you. Your policy likely lists circumstances under which property damage has coverage. This usually includes unforeseeable or unpreventable perils like fire, theft or weather damages.
In the event that major property damage affects your business, keep these tips in mind to reduce the chances of more damage.
- Isolate the damage as best you can. Do not allow customers or staff near the damage. If the damage poses an imminent safety threat, evacuate the restaurant and close it. If you have to call emergency services, do so.
- Take note of the damages. You might consider taking note of how you discovered the damage, and take photos of the initial scene. Do not attempt to repair major damages yourself. Try not to touch them or move damaged items in ways that might exacerbate problems.
- If you need to involve the police or fire department, then call the station. In the event of theft, fire and similar circumstances, they can help you file a report for your insurance company.
- Contact a proper repair authority. A repairman can assess damages, and should be able to estimate the cost of repairs to the business.
- Call your restaurant insurance company immediately. They will instruct you on how to document damages in order to successfully file a claim. Your insurance company may send a claims adjuster to inspect the damage themselves and estimate a claim amount.
- Take steps to prevent future problems in your restaurant. When you make repairs, ensure that changes incorporate better safety practices and barriers.
Remember, the best way to protect your property is through proper upkeep. Make sure you always inspect known risks within your restaurant. Also follow health and safety code laws.
We’ve got you covered. Contact Buschbach Insurance today for a fast, free restaurant insurance quote. Call us at (708) 423-2350 for more information.